Attractions – Uptown Kingston
From the many historic buildings built as early as the 17th century to the modern Dietz Stadium sports facility which is home to the Kingston Stockade Football Club (soccer), Uptown Kingston has a wide variety of attractions for any age and interest. Much of Uptown Kingston is designated as the “The Stockade National Historic District” where museums such as the New York State Senate House (Kingston was NY’s first capital), Persen House, and the Fred J. Johnston Museum can be visited as well as numerous other historic landmarks like the Old Dutch Church. Forsyth Park and the Forsyth Nature Center provide a place to entertain the kids and the BSP Art and Entertainment Complex is a former vaudeville theater that hosts live music, comedy and other events to keep the adults happy. A trip to the Farmers Market which is held year round is always a great way to start a visit to Uptown Kingston.
Uptown Stockade District
The Forsyth Nature Center has 24 animal exhibits and a dozen gardens that contain a wide variety of nature flora found in the Hudson Valley (845) 339-3053. www.forsythnaturecenter.org
The Fred Johnston Museum is located in Kingston’s Stockade district and is a must see! The museum is a Federal style house, cir. 1812, built by state senator John Sudam. The exquisite home features 8 rooms furnished by the Fred J Johnston Collection. The Johnston collection features mostly American decorative arts, glassware, and furniture from […]
The Persen House, named after its longest resident Matthewis Persen (1739-1819) and owned by Ulster County since 1914, has undergone extensive restoration since emergency repairs in 1999 revealed its historical significance. A Historic Structure Report discovered that it was built in five phases from 1661 to 1922. The house has witnessed the entire history of […]
The Old Dutch Church is considered the city’s oldest institution; the churches first congregation was organized in 1659. The edifice that is currently The Old Dutch Church and Museum was built in 1852 and is a Renaissance Revival style church, designed by Minard LaFever. The churchyard contains tombstones dating back to 1770, and the grave […]